Tuesday, July 21, 2015

June Secret Sister Swap

Hello!

Today I wanted to share my June Secret Sister Swap.  The theme was summer fun.  My partner was Cyndi Kim.  I know she's been missing Hawai'i so I thought I'd make her a Hawaiian themed frame.


I was super tempted to keep this one, but I knew Cyndi would love it so off it went.  I broke down and cut in to some hoarded Aloha print patterned paper for this one.  I think next time I won't use the white gesso, it washed out the beautiful colors on the papers too much.  I had pictured something else in my mind, but alas once it went down there was no going back.  Again another learning experience.  The computer generated sentiment was printed on vellum paper and glued down.  It says, "No matter how far you go, Hawai'i will always be in your soul"

The kiddie images are Pua & Kaleo from Sisters Stamps.  I paper pieced their outfits using scraps from one of the orange patterned papers.  Fun cut them out and glued them down flat on to the bottom of the frame.  The hibiscus flowers and leaves were stamped and cut using one of my favorite (sadly discontinued) MFT stamp and die sets.  I finally got to use them.  Yay!  The Aloha is actually a cut up Island Scrapbooking word.  I cut each letter separately and glued them down on top of the flowers.  The flowers were staggered and popped up with pop dots so that I could do a layered effect.  I think I pulled off the vintage look I was going for, but need to figure out something else instead of the white gesso if I'm going to try this one again.

Not only was Cyndi my swap partner, but she was my secret sister!  Here are the adorable altered clothes pins she made for me and some fun RAKs that came with the package...


Funny story, I saw these on IG and told her they were cute and lo and behold they were for me!  hahaha!  She is so darn creative, always altering things into something fun, cute and functional.  Right now these are on the fridge.  Thanks again Cyndi!!

If you're interested in being a part of a fun group of swap sisters just leave a message in the comments section and I'll forward it on to our organizer, Kathy Dinh.  Thanks for stopping by!!

PS - Did you join my 1000th post candy giveaway?  If not click HERE

1 comment:

Lynn said...

What a neat gift for someone missing Hawaii. I love the softer vintage colors which go well with the boy and girl. Even though it looks like a lot of work, I'm sure the recipient was thrilled.